First we’ll make something that looks nice and then something that tastes good. Both of them are not something mandatory.
1. How to make clear ice
Even though this is not a must, it sure looks better and drips less. Full disclosure, the ice will not be 100% clear if you make it at home and don’t use a cooler.
My favourite and easiest method is the boiling water and as a bonus, only when my freezer is empty will I play with the temperature.
- We will use already filtered water, not from the tap. I use bottled water.
- Boil first time. After boiling, convert it and let it cool.
- Boil a second time. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Pour it in the moulds and cover it with a plastic foil.
The temperature play:
I do this only when I clean my freezer. I make sure nothing can go bad. I make sure that my freezer is set on the highest that it can be and still freeze. We do this because we want the water to freeze from the inside towards the outside.
I do this when my freezer is completely empty so i can make a batch of ice that will usually serve me 1 to 2 months.
2. Smoked ice
I make this to add more taste to my cocktails. You want to be fancy and impress your friends at your private party, this will do it. Or maybe you want to add more taste to one of your signature cocktails at your location.
For this you will need a grill, wood, spices, a shallow pan, water and your ice trays.
Now, this does.t have to be a long and hard process.
Let’s get to it.
- First make sure your grill is clean. You do not want your ice with grease from the last BBQ.
- Start the fire. You don’t need flame, you need smoke. Besides wood also use herbs and citrus peels, apple peels. (I do add them later to the mix- 30 minutes in)
- Once you see smoke you add the water in the shallow pan and leave it to sit for 1 hour.
- Place the water in the trays and put it in the freezer.
- If you started that fire, you can enjoy a nice BBQ as well.